Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Here's a quick blog about our port arrival... don't worry - I'm planning to write about our experience in Croatia later today, so check back a little later...

This was the absolute best port arrival ever. We were told the evening before our arrival in Dubrovnik that our ship’s captain was planning to blow the horn as we sailed around the corner near his family’s home. One official administrator had said that the captain would be blowing the horn at 0630, and then the executive dean said that he would be doing this at 0730. Being the optimist that I am, I decided to believe that this would not occur until 0730.
So… at approximately 0625, what do I hear? The freaking horn!!! I instantly jump – literally leap – out of my bed, mutter to myself “shit, I’m going to miss it!,” throw on my clothes, and sprint up four flights of stairs to the seventh deck. I burst out of the doors onto the deck to find that I am not too late. Whew!!
Our fabulous captain Roman is not a shy guy. He was not messing around when it came to blowing that horn. He did a couple warning horn blows when we were still about five minutes away from his home, and then just let it LOOSE with that horn! Wow. There was DEFINITELY no one left sleeping in his quaint little village by the sea. I was CRACKING UP, I thought it was so flipping hilarious. But then when I saw his family waving from the deck of their home, I burst into tears! I was doing the ol’ laugh & cry at the same time. Some of his family’s neighbors had made big banners and were waving, too. When Captain Roman stepped out onto the little winged platform that jets out from the bridge and started waving to his family, I totally lost it. It was such a cool moment.
I just read this blog to some students who rolled their eyes when I said I cried, but c’mon… that’s good stuff.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy,
You and I are cut from the same cloth. I cried when I read your blog this morning. Still crying - I can't find the keys on the keyboard!! Moments like these are frozen in time. Our departure from Aomori, Japan, last year was amazing - everyone in the town waving colored torches (lights). I just cried and cried, it was so touching.
Love you, sweetie!
Mom :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Joy and Joe,
I haven't commented lately. Nonetheless, I've been enjoying every word you write, and check daily to see if anything new has been posted. Wish I'd been aboard going by Capt. Roman's village!
Joe, your photos continue to allow us to accompany you guys on your fabulous adventure. I should finish Cairo tonight, and start on Istanbul tomorrow. Enjoy Cadiz, Love, Dave (Dad)

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Do you have the Cairo and Istanbul pics up? I can't seem to find them. Have a Happy Thanksgiving you two.

Love....Dad (Cary)